About the Foundation
The foundation’s goal is simple – perpetual funds for perpetual needs.
The St. Mary’s School (SMS) Foundation was established in 1992 by the Diocese of Steubenville to ensure the future financial stability of St. Mary’s Catholic School.
The school is an educational institution founded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ. This founding principle has been in place since September 6, 1896, when Bishop Watterson blessed and dedicated the first St. Mary’s School building on lower Fourth Street in Marietta.
Since 1896, the St. Mary’s School family has outgrown six locations and directed the education of more than 5,000 students. Our school family, representing a strong heritage of Catholic values with excellence in academic, athletic and extracurricular activities, is open to all young people so they may become lifelong members of our church and productive participants in society. Today, St. Mary’s School offers a preschool through eighth-grade curriculum.
The challenge today is to maintain the viability of this educational institution through the long-term financial development and planning of the SMS Foundation.